I got the Guthrie genealogy that Nana sent me on Saturday. It is really interesting. I have done some additional online research and discovered several interesting tidbits.
The genealogy states that Travis Guthrey was the son of Edward Guthrey who was the son of John Guthrey of Forfarshire Scotland. There were several John Guthrey's from that area (sons of sons) and the start of this line was Robert Bruce (that's right Braveheart himself) who was the King of Scotland. We're royalty!!!
Also concerning Great, Great, Great Uncle John Thomas Guthrie ( uncle of Grandpa Brake) fought in the Civil War for B Company, 9th Infantry. Va Regiment (also known as Pickett's Division). Online for the Library of Va I have found his handwritten paperwork where he applied for a pension. It states that he was wounded on May 10th 1864 at the Battle of Chester Station (in Chesterfield County, Va.) It says he was wounded in the right arm between the elbow and shoulder by a miniball and the injury caused partial paralysis. He was awarded a pension of $15 per month in 1888 (not 1882 as the genealogy shows). This army was part of the Army of Northern Va. He was 35 when he was wounded. If he was with the army a year earlier, he would have fought at Gettysburg. Interesting, huh?
Also, I believe that the baby's grave that Grandaddy Guthrie showed Joan and I was for his baby brother, Cicero. We don't know what killed him but I suspect his name might have been enough to do the deed --Cicero Guthrie. I'm glad that name didn't continue down the line.
More as I discover it.
No comments:
Post a Comment